NancyH
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
127115

Benign tumor on roof of my dogs mouth...how can it be treated

I sent an inquiry in to Rebecca last week. The tumor on my lttile whippet, on the roof of her mouth, is benign, thank heaven! We do not want surgery, she is 10, and the area is too dangerous to cut into. Is there a laser surgery that can remove it? Any other ideas on how to keep it from growing? Her left eye has been affected, and that is where I see trouble brewing. We meet with our vet on April 22...and I'd like to go in to see him with some knowledge on how it can be treated.
Thanks!
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 7 years ago.

Laser surgery to debulk or remove the tumor is a possibility if that is available near you.

Radiation might also be an option.

You might want to consult with a veterinarian who is a dentistry expert also as they do the most reconstructive work in mouths. Or you may want to consult with a veterinary oncologist as they do the most work with radiation treatments.

You can read about benign tumors here

http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/dvm/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=380873&sk=&date=&pageID=2

This site has good info on how laser surgery works

http://www.veterinarylaser.com/

You may need to find a vet school or a clinic in a larger city to get such services.

And this site mentions oral surgery is one of the great uses for lasers

http://www.caloaksvet.com/Laser.htm

Hope this helps you!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
We don't want to expose her to radiation. Do these tumors grow quickly?
Expert:  NancyH replied 7 years ago.

The radiation is very concentrated to the exact location where the tumor is but I understand your concerns.

As you didn't identify the type of tumor you'd have to ask your vet if this is a type that grows rapidly or slowly.

If it is invading the area of the eye socket and putting pressure there one option might be to do surgery and also remove the eye if it is giving her pain. If that has to happen what they typically do is sew the lids shut so it just looks like the dog is winking and you pretty quickly stop seeing it as a surprise. Dogs can do fine with one eye if the situation is serious enough for you to need to consider that.

Chemotherapy may slow tumor growth. A lot depends on the type it is and how far it has advanced and where it has invaded.