robert baker
robert baker, Veterinarian
Experience:  vet with local practice

My dog keeps gagging. Like hes gonna throw up, but nothing

My dog keeps gagging like he's gonna throw up, but nothing comes up. This has been going on for a few weeks. I'm getting worried. He's a 1 y/o chihuahua/pomeranian mix. We adopted him from the animal shelter about 4 months ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  robert baker replied 7 years ago.

To check for kennel cough is to gently rub on her throat...sort of in the area of the voice box (or bark box) and if that stimulates the gagging or coughing, then that is generally a very good indicator that your pup does indeed have kennel cough. Antibiotics are needed to help treat it and make it go away.
If that does not cause her to gag/cough, I would be concerned about heart issues. Some dogs that have fluid around the heart (congestive heart failure) or even heartworms will have this type of symptom, especially upon exertion. An x-ray can generally show heart abnormalities although an ultrasound is better, and a simple blood test can show if your dog is positive for heartworm disease. Either of these are very serious conditions if they are to this point already. If she's been on monthly heartworm preventative, then you shouldn't have anything to worry about with that. As young as she is, if she's not horribly overweight and doesn't have any unforeseen genetic predisposition or heart birth defect, I wouldn't suspect this either as a first guess.
Without getting her in to a Vet to be properly examined, it will be hard to tell.

I hope this has been helpful, if so please accept, pay, and leave feedback.

Bonuses are always appreciated!!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
When we took him to the vet after we adopted him we checked him for kennel cough and heart worms. He's on a heart worm and flea prevention thing. Also, he doesn't gag through out the day (i forgot to add that) it's mostly in the evening, but it's been happening a couple times every day for the past few days. I'll see if it causes him to gag when i rub his throat.

Let me know what happens.

Also look down his throat to make sure theres nothing stuck there.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He doesn't gag when I rub his throat and there's nothing visible down his throat.

If that didn't work then you are going to have to take the dog to a veternarian because there is no way to tell exactly what it is without doing blood tests and ultra sounds. The cough could be a problem with the heart and you don't want to wait for problems to get worse.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Okay. Will do. Thank you.

Im sorry that I could not give you an exact answer, but I do not want to give a guess on something that could potentially be very serious. I hope everything works out of with your dog.

Please leave feedback, accept, and pay. God Bless!