Cheryl K.
Cheryl K., shelter volunteer
Experience:  14+ years of shelter work/ vaccinations/ disease/ illness/ injury/ medical care

I have a female border collie and a male XXXXX XXXXX. The

I have a female border collie and a male XXXXX XXXXX. The female is in her first heat. The male was doing good for a while not mounting her but now he has the shakes, he's really tense and his heart has been beating faster than normarl. The female is in her last cycle of the heat. What can i do to help the male i am worried about his health.
Your best bet is to go to your local pet store and ask them where their natural suppliments are and get the ones that are for calming and anxiety. These also work well for car trips and vet visits but they will help to calm him some and reduce his heart rate as well and will not interfere with any medications he may be on or his diet. And yes even though he is outside he can smell her and if she is in the last part of her cycle this is when they are ready to breed and that is why he is more tense and his heart rate is higher now so pick those up and give them to him as instructed and if you do not plan on breeding them I would have him neutered so you do not have to go through this every six months and it will allow him more comfort in the long run as well.