Cheryl K.
Cheryl K., shelter volunteer
Experience:  14+ years of shelter work/ vaccinations/ disease/ illness/ injury/ medical care
237255

i have a 3 mo old st bernard puppy. This has happened twice

i have a 3 mo old st bernard puppy. This has happened twice today, he got a fit n froth coming from the mouth, after cleaning him n feeding him water he seemed to be ok. But i am very worried about this. Please advise what more info would you need from me and i will be happy to provide. There is not any qualified vet here since the pup lives at our farmhouse at a remote location
Category: Dog
Expert:  Cheryl K. replied 5 years ago.
Has he had all his vaccinations and has he had a dental check since you have had him? Does he appear to be in pain or is he just frothing? This will allow me to be of better help to you, thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes vacination is on as per the schedule given by the vet. No dental checkup done yet. Normally doesnt appear to be in pain, he was playing and jumping arouund well before we noticed him in the corner like that.
Expert:  Cheryl K. replied 5 years ago.
It sounds like he has gotten into something toxic or is having an issue with his teeth or gums. Check his gums and see if they are pink and moist as that would be a good sign and since it has been more than two hours since you noticed this occuring it is too late to induce vomiting so the only thing you can do is monitor him closely for any sign he is getting worse and if so even though you do live in a remote location I would get him in to be seen at an emergency vet as soon as possible. I would not let him outside alone until you have thoroughly checked your dogs areas to make sure that there is not any plants, anti-freeze or anything else that could be toxic to him.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
<p>Hi,</p><p> </p><p>We will be visiting the vet tomorrow. He was fine after 2 of the above happening , what i meant was it happened 2 hours hour ago. </p><p> </p><p>Gums colour : Pale Pink and Dry </p><p> </p><p>More info about the situation described by someone with medical background</p><p> </p><p>The dog was sitting, his nose was twitching, his left eye was fixed and looking downwards, white froth like thing coming out of his month , no sign of vomiting, Defeacation and urination during this period happened without control </p><p> Total time this happened: Approx 2 minutes each time</p><p> </p><p>After that he behaved lazy but normal after this. </p><p> </p><p>Please advise.</p>
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Also missed this one: It does not seem to be an issue of toxin, as he was normal after 2-3 minutes each time this happened, (approx 18 hours apart for 2 mins each during the same day)
Expert:  Cheryl K. replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for that information and yes it would not do that that far apart unless he was let outside during those time frames and came back in acting like that, then it could be a toxicity issue. If not I would recommend that you have him seen for a dental check as although St Bernards are knowing for frothing if this is more than normal then I would follow up with your vet and have him check his teeth and gums. You can also check them for tenderness yourself if he will let you put your fingers in his mouth and gently press on each tooth and also check his gums by pressing on several areas of them and also make sure they are pink and moist.
Cheryl K., shelter volunteer
Experience: 14+ years of shelter work/ vaccinations/ disease/ illness/ injury/ medical care