Cheryl K.
Cheryl K., shelter volunteer
Experience:  14+ years of shelter work/ vaccinations/ disease/ illness/ injury/ medical care

I have an aging Italian Greyhound (13 years) whos appetite

I have an aging Italian Greyhound (13 years) who's appetite has been poor, has congestive heart problems and is now showing signs of jaundice in her ears. She doesn't appear to be in pain, and has energy. Just terribly skinny. Should I be concerned that her liver is failing?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Cheryl K. replied 7 years ago.
If she looks jaundiced then yes I would be concerned that her liver could be failing. While it is good that she has energy and does not seem to be in pain I would have her seen on Monday so they can perform bloodwork and giver her a full exam. I would also feed her a bland diet of cooked rice and boiled chicken as that is very easy on the stomach and will help with her weight issue. I would monitor her close for any changes in behavior as that would be a sign she needs to be seen sooner but it does sound like you are on the right track with your thinking.