ChristineLVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Licensed veterinary technician (B.S. Mercy College), 10 yrs in animal medicine and training

My puppy has hair loss around his eyes but is not itching.

My puppy has hair loss around his eyes but is not itching. It does not have any pimples or puss just hair loss.
Category: Dog
Expert:  ChristineLVT replied 7 years ago.

Considering the information you have given, it's likely time for your vet to do a skin scraping on your pup. When hair loss is noted around the eyes with no itch and no other symptoms, this is generally the first sign of demodectic mange. It is not that uncommon in puppies. All dogs naturally have some demodex mites living on them, but puppies have weaker immune systems and can break out in these infestations. It can easily start to spread to the muzzle and you may eventually see hair loss on the extremeities (legs) as well.

Though sometimes they can fight these off themselves, it is best to have treatment done by your vet to clear it fastest. Sometimes 'dips' are done if after a skin scraping, mites are found elsewhere besides the face, and many times a drug called ivermectin is given as well to kill these mites.

Demodex is transmitted from mother to pup usually within the first week of life, but it is rare to see the problem until the pup gets to 8 weeks or older. After a year of age, their immune system is generally strong enough that if acquired, will not result in this symptom.

Here's an article about demodex, but let me know if you have further questions. Good luck!