Dr. Marcia
Dr. Marcia, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a Companion Animal Veterinarian with 15 years of medical and surgical experience

my cocker spaniel start scratching and biting his testicle

my cocker spaniel start scratching and biting his testicle area last nite (on 1 side)and now its red and irritated. What can I do to relieve?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Marcia replied 7 years ago.
Good morning, Customer and thank you so much for your question this morning!

It was very smart of you to look for fleas and ticks, because the first thing to do is look for any obvious reason why you do is biting this area. Parasites can certainly be one reason for itching, or allergies, or a localized irritation or infection of the skin.

Check the skin of this area closely--it probably looks red from his scratching and biting. But if there is any discharge or pus, crusty material, bad odor, or swelling I would recommend a vet visit, as this could mean infection that would require prescription medications.

At home, you could try a few things to relieve the itching and irritation. You could give your dog oral benadryl(diphenhydramine) up to 3 times daily. this may make him a little sleepy, but it may help the itching. The dose is approximately 1 mg per pound, so if he is larger (20-25 pounds) you can give a 25 mg capsule. If he is smaller, give the liquid children's benadryl, which has 2.5 mg per ml. For instance, a 10 pound dog would receive 4 mls. Benadryl can be bought over the counter at any drug store.
You could also apply a combination of over the counter antibiotic (such as bacitracin or neosporin) and cortisone creams to the area a few times a day and see if this helps. After application take him for a short walk to distract him from licking for a few minutes, so the creams can soak in.
I hope these ideas help. If he is not improving, of course it is always best to have your vet check him out.
Thanks, XXXXX :)
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you very much you have been very helpful. I have all the sggested over the counter meds available to use right away.
Thanks again!