Dr Caroline
Dr Caroline, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 yrs of dog and cat general practice, emergency, certified in acupuncture

2 year old mini yorkshire terrier, constant diarrohea for over

2 year old mini yorkshire terrier, constant diarrohea for over 3 weeks, soiling everywhere, had blood tests, scans and stay at vets but told to keep her on chicken & rice, administered pro-colin for over 2 weeks to bind poo but hasn't happened, very cross that no solution found yet. Any advice?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Caroline replied 7 years ago.

frustrating problem for sure?

To better assist you, can you answer the following questions?

Which tests were done? (names and results)

What do you mean by scans (radiographs, ultrasound, others)?

Any fecal tests?

Which antibiotics did she get?

What antibiotic dose?

What his her weight now?

Is the diet she got the Science Plan Canine Adult Mini Breed?

Any mucus and/or blood in the stools?

How many times a day does she have diarrhea?

Any vomiting?

Let me know. looking forward to assist you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for you reply.

The tests were xray incl 2 views, an ultrasound scan and blood tests. I don't know the results just that everything was fine and nothing was found.

I don't know what fecal tests are so unable to answer that question sorry.

I don't have the name of the antiobiotic but it was only for 3 days, one tiny tablet per day and the name of it was familiar to me, a cat we had years ago was given also.

Her weight now is 1.5kg, which is an increase of .2 kg from the start of the illness.

Your question about the Science plan diet, this is the food she ate for 1.5 years with no problems - from puppy to adult mini breed.

Yes lots of blood and mucus in the stools, she has been in season so it was hard for me to know which was which, however the blood isn't as frequent from the last few days, the mucus is still apparent in the stools, not very pleasant!!!

The diarrohea seems to be frequent, her bed is in the utility room and I have paper down but she seems to be having diarrohea very regularly, there has been no solid stools in weeks.

She had vomiting but this has passed about 2 weeks now.

Thanks again, I'm at my wits end with this!!

poor kid! Let's see what we can come up with.

If diarrhea with mucus and blood looks like she has colitis. Colitis is a term to describe diarrhea with mucus and blood in the stools. typically they do not loose weight when they have colitis.

If not done, a fecal smear (check for clostridium) is a good idea.

Do a giardia specific tests, a normal fecal flotation, a bacterial culture if needed.

It is possible she needs another antibiotic, or a longer course of treatment. Other infectious: Trichuris vulpis, Ancylostoma caninum, Entamoeba histolytica, Balantidium coli, Giardia spp, Trichomonas spp, Salmonella spp, Campylobacter spp, Yersinia enterocolitica, Escherichia coli, Prototheca, Histoplasma capsulatum, and Phycomycosis.

It looks like everything started when she got a different diet and when she got to the kennel. Some IBS (Irritable Bowel can also happened which may have not helped the whole problem:

Some cases of chronic colitis can be from Inflammatory Bowel Disease :

You may want to discuss the use of some probiotics (Iams, Purina and Rx Vitamins have some good ones and reputable).

Let me know if you want to discuss the medication she received or if you need additional information, have more questions.

If this is helpful, do not forget to select the ACCEPT button.

Good luck, I will hope for the best.

Thank you again for your question.