Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

dog has weezy fast breathing and stomach seems to be tight

dog has weezy fast breathing and stomach seems to be tight as she breaths.?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 5 years ago.
Did she vomit? Is her stomach painful?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
she did this morning alittle bit it looks like she tightens her stomach a bit when shes breathing as if she has cramps
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 5 years ago.
Is she coughing? Is she painful if you firmly touch/push along her spine?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

no no coughing just weezy/deep/breathing and i found out she had been chewing on a piece of tape this morning she was fine all day playing around till about the afternoon she was sleeping than all of a sudden she started breathing louder and weezy as if she has cramps or stomach ache

Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 5 years ago.
OK, thanks for the information.

Fast breathing and a tight stomach are both consistent with abdominal pain, even if she doesn't seem painful when being touched. I would be most concerned that she may have swallowed a piece of the tape she was chewing on, and it could be irritating, or even causing a blockage, in her intestines.

I would have to recommend having an x-ray taken of her chest and abdomen, in order to assess the likelihood that there could be some foreign material in the body somewhere. Hopefully that's just needlessly cautious, but it's always better to be safe than sorry.

If her gums are pink, and moist, then most likely this isn't quite an emergency, though it never hurts to have her checked out just in case.

Let me know if you need more information.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
her gums look moist and pink not dark dark pink but pink and she does get up and shakes and lays back down in al ittle tight ball as if squeezing her stomach
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 5 years ago.
If you think she is in pain, then you ought to get her some emergency veterinary attention now, rather than waiting several hours.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i gave her 1/4 tablet of pepto because we had given it to one of our other dogs before for an upset stomach and she seems to be asleep and still breathing a bit heavy but not as much weezy sound of complaining. is that good?

Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 5 years ago.
Pepto is usually ok for dogs, though the tablets don't tend to dissolve well, so if I'm going to recommend pepto it will usually be the liquid formulation. If she seems to have quieted down, then it may be ok to watch her for now.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you so much for your help.
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 5 years ago.
You're welcome, best of luck with the little one :)
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience: Small Animal Medicine and Surgery