Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

what can i give my dog for a sour stomach

Customer Question

what can i give my dog for a sour stomach?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomerbr />
I will be very pleased to try and answer your question but to enable me to do so with accuracy I need to know a little bit more information, so first can you tell me :

1. Please tell me in a little more detail the symptoms your dog is going through.

2. How long has this been going on?

This is just a information request for which you have not been charged, I am online at present. I will answer your question shortly after receiving your reply.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He is burping alot and it smells like a sour stomach that a human would get. He is also just laying a round. He has a loss of appitite. This has been going on for about 3 days
Thanks for the quick reply.

A. As your dog is lethargic and not eating so much he could be in the grip of an infection of some kind. If you suspect this you should have him checked out by your vet as prescription drugs like antibiotics may be what is required.

B. Where the dogs are more bright the advice I would give would be that you might want to try and control the situation with diet alone before you try anything else. This is logical and often works, I have often advised my clients at my clinic to do the following :

A. Starve him today but make sure he has access to water.

B. Tomorrow feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If he pick up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days.

Live yogurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance.

Of course if this does not work or if your dog deteriorates you should see your vet.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS