Donna P.
Donna P., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Veterinary Technician with 15 years experience. Boston Terrier Breeder
10212894

how old do puppies have to be to get there first shots and

how old do puppies have to be to get there first shots and worming
Category: Dog
Expert:  Donna P. replied 5 years ago.

HelloCustomer

I would recommend worming mom with pyrantel pamoate now and every two weeks hereafter. Worms can be transmitted in utero and also through their mother's milk. By worming her you can help with a lot of these. Use pyrantel pamoate only - it is safe in pregnancy and lactation. Begin worming the puppies themselves at two weeks of age and every 2 weeks thereafter. Pyrantel pamoate is pretty inexpensive and can be purchased at any pet store or possibly your vet. The puppies should go to the vet for the first time for an exam and vaccines at 6 weeks of age. I would also recommend having a stool sample checked at this time. Although pyrantel pamoate will take care of the two most common types of parasites in dogs - it doesn't take care of all the possible parasites. Vaccines are then given every 4 weeks until 16 weeks of age.

If you need more information just reply to your question.

Donna P.

__________If this was helpful, please click ACCEPT_________________

thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i'm not sure how long i should keep the puppies should i keep them untill they are fully UTD on there shots and worming just to make sure they are healthy.
Expert:  Donna P. replied 5 years ago.

The most common recommendation is to keep the puppies with their mom and siblings until they are 8 weeks old. The new owners are responsible for the rest of the series of shots after the first one. The puppies can begin to be weaned and fed solid food after 3 -4 weeks of age. They should be eating just puppy food after 6 weeks or so - keeping them together is more for their social and behavioral development. They learn a lot about being a dog and interacting by playing with one another and by mom disciplining them.

Donna P.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you so much ,i have just one more thing how old do they have to be before i can take them in the yard .do they have to have their shots first. this is mama her name is pradagraphic
Expert:  Donna P. replied 5 years ago.

Hello again,

This really depends on where you live. If you live in a very busy area that is likely to be visited by unknown dogs - you may not want to get them outside at all to avoid exposing them to things like parvo. If you live out in the country a bit and this is not as likely- than I would get them out early. I start taking my puppies outside to go potty in my yard that is protected as soon as they can walk well - around three weeks. If I am diligent and pay attention to getting them out as soon as they wake up then I can get all of them going potty outside at quite a young age. I house my puppies in my living room in an exercise pen right next to a large picture window. After a week or two of getting outside to go potty - at least a good percentage of the time - I am always amazed that there are puppies that start jumping all over the window, asking to go out, when they need to defecate. It seems to make the new owners job of housetraining much easier as well - because I get a lot of really good reports on how easy they are. Of course I can carry a whole litter in one armful - and your's will be much larger - making this more difficult.

She is beautiful and I hope you have a ton of fun raising your babies. I think that it is just about the best thing ever. There is nothing like a litter of puppies to melt away stress on a bad day.

Donna P.

Donna P., Veterinary Technician
Experience: Veterinary Technician with 15 years experience. Boston Terrier Breeder