Dr. Marcia
Dr. Marcia, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a Companion Animal Veterinarian with 15 years of medical and surgical experience
10807259

my cavlier is 2 years old, her nose became light brown around

my cavlier is 2 years old, her nose became light brown around nostrils . periphery is black.we live in a sunny climate. she licks off antisun products. is exposure to sun during walks harmful?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Marcia replied 7 years ago.
Good morning,Customer and thank you so much for your question this morning. I hope I can be of some help to you.
First of all, let me comment on the color change with your dog's nose. The nose fading from black to tan is not an unusual change and can happen in lots of dogs, especially lighter colored dogs, and is considered part of their genetic make-up. This is referred to as "snow nose" as it is so common in Siberian Huskies. The color change can be seasonal as well, and may change back to black depending on the season. So, in other words, this is not typically anything to be concerned about and is considered normal.
However, I will mention one other thought--occasionally a pigment change on the front of the nose can be due to contact allergy--most likely from plastic or rubber food bowls. So if your dog has plastic food or water dishes you may want to switch to metal,or ceramic.

Moderate sun exposure is considered quite safe in dogs, and the pigment in their noses is actually sort of a natural "sunscreen." You do not need to worry about sunscreen for dogs in general unless they are very light colored dogs (some totally white dogs with already pale noses can get "sunburn" on the top of the nose).

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions!
Dr. Marcia :)