Donna P.
Donna P., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Veterinary Technician with 15 years experience. Boston Terrier Breeder

How to treat dog hemorrhoids, or anal area irritation

My 8-1/2 year old black lab has what look like hemorrhoids that are slightly crusty. He had a surgery this summer after a blockage (ate a stuffed animal) and has begun to have gastrointestinal distress -- lots of licking floors, carpets, dirt, occasional vomiting. The vet has him on 20 mg famotidine twice a day, and Hill's Prescription diet, at first W/D to help him pass any obstructions that could have caused the vomiting and now I/D, to help with digestion and nausea. Even so, he is still mildly nauseated, and licks his bottom alot. He has had to have his anal glands expressed recently, never before in his life. How can I make him more comfortable?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Donna P. replied 7 years ago.

The anal glands can actually get plugged and even abcess to the outside of the body. If the areas you are seeing are just below and to one side of the actual anus - it may be the anal glands. If this is the right location - warm compresses a three or four times a day seem to help as well as epson salt soaks can help. It is likely though that if it does seem like an anal gland abscess that he may need antibiotics. If this seems to fit, adding fiber to the diet can help them to clean the anal glands with bowel movements. Canned pumpkin added to the diet is often recommended to add fiber to the diet in a very palatable way. Here are some links to more information about anal glands.

Other reasons for growths in the area, licking and discomfort are anal fistulas and perianal adenomas. Male dogs that are not neutered also tend to get tumors around the anus tha seem to decrease if they are neutered. Here are some links to more information about these conditions.

If you need more information just reply to your question.

Donna P.

____________If this was helpful, please click ACCEPT___________

thank you.