Dr Caroline
Dr Caroline, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 yrs of dog and cat general practice, emergency, certified in acupuncture
13981167

my dogs eyes started watering and he kept them closed alot.

my dogs eyes started watering and he kept them closed alot. they developed a blue haze and he has gone blind. Why?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Caroline replied 7 years ago.

I am sorry to hear about your dog's problem, this must be very upsetting.

You must still be typing since I do not see optional information, and what has been tried.

In the meanwhile, can you tell me:

What is the name of your dog?

How old is your dog?

What breed?

What is he doing that makes you say he is now blind?

Are his eyes appear bigger to you?

Any other symptoms?

Any medications/supplements he is on?

When did this all start?

Let me know, looking forward to assist you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sparky runs into things. he falls off our deck...lucky its only a foot high... if you put your hand in front of his eyes he does not respond. At hthe vets they tested his eyes and said he had normal response. we tried the neo-poly-dex but nothing changed and he continued to loose his sight. he does open his eyes very wide. there is some tearing up but not as bad as when this started

different tests can be done with eyes, can you tell me which ones (tear tests, corneal ulcers, eye pressure, retinas examination with the ophtalmoscop, others)?

The blue haze does it appear in the eye itself, or on the eye?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
they did tear test and pressure test. they said that these were fine. the blue seems to be on the eye.

if the cornea is getting bluish could mean there is edema (fluid) in the cornea.Edema is not a diagnostic but could be the underlying cause of:

Degenerative aging changes
Breed predilection: Dachshund, Boston terrier, Chihuahua (not your dog!)
Glaucoma: eliminated
Idiopathic, unknown
Infection
Inflammation
Lens luxation (anterior)
Toxin
Trauma
Uveitis (anterior): inflammation inside the eye: http://www.eyecareforanimals.com/uveitis.php
Irritation

Lagophthalmos (inability to completely close the eyelids, which does not seem to be his problem) .

A corneal tests may show some ulcers . If not ulcers are present, your primary care veterinarian may choose to use some corticosteroid ointment to eliminate some inflammatory process.

The tearing is likely due to pain (called blepharospasm).

It might be good to recheck the eye pressure. If they have uveitis, the pressure tends to go lower then normal.

The treatment will depend of the underlying cause (glaucoma, lens luxation, uveitis).

Just speaking about the corneal edema, topical hyperosmotic (5%) NaCl ointment or solution applied on the eye may help decrease the amount of fluid in the cornea.

Here is a link about Corneal Dystrophy with available treatments:

http://www.eyecareforanimals.com/endothelialdystrophy.php

Let me know if you have more questions, or need additional information.

If this is helpful, do not forget to select the ACCEPT button.

I will wish for the best.