Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
9138059

my dog is shaking his head from side to side as if he trying

Customer Question

my dog is shaking his head from side to side as if he trying to get something out of his ears.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 years ago.
Hi thereCustomer

Thank you for your question that has just been sent through to me, regarding your 2 year old Poodle cross who has been shaking his head. There are a number of things that could be going here from ear mites, to yeast or bacterial otitis externa and you should, for this reason, definitely visit your local Vet when you next can. He or she will check the patency of the ear drum and the external ear canal to ensure that everything is in order. If there is a lot of discharge, he or she may even want to take a swab or smear from the ear. A lot of the time young small breed dogs like poodles can get very irritated because they have long strands of hair that grow from deep down within their external ear canals - these should be reguarly plucked either by you, your groomer or your Vet.

In the mean time there are several things you can do. Firstly - have a go at plucking the hairs that are coming out of your dog's ear canal if there are a few. Particularly the ones growing deep within the canal. Use either you fingers or some small forceps. You can also purchase some ear cleaning solution from you local pet store. There are several different brands here including epi-otic and oto-cleanse - I am not sure what sort of herbal mix you have. You need to follow the instructions here and be sure to give the entire ear canal a good massage after applying the solution (from the outside). Please see: http://hubpages.com/hub/Pet_Tips_for_Dog_Owners_-_How_to_Clean_Your_Dogs_Ears for more information on how to do this properly.

You should also have treated your boy using a good earmite product such as Advantage Multi - normal advantage will not kill these ear mites. These three things will definitely put you in good stead for your Vet visit and hopefully give your boy some temporary relief until an exact diagnosis can be made and some ear ointment prescribed.

Best of luck with your boy and please get to the Vet when you next can. Please keep me updated with your progress!!

Thank you for your question and please now click ACCEPT.

Kind Regards,

Dr M D Edwards

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
THank you, XXXXX XXXXX really worried. I feel much better now. I will still make an appt to
go to the vet as advised. THank you so much DR. Edwards.
M.L.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 years ago.
No problem - glad to be of help and best of luck! Do let me know how you get on.