ChristineLVT
ChristineLVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Licensed veterinary technician (B.S. Mercy College), 10 yrs in animal medicine and training
4329681

WHY DOES MY DOG HAVE SWOLLEN VAGINA

WHY DOES MY DOG HAVE SWOLLEN VAGINA?

How old is your dog? Is she spayed?

How long has she been swollen? Is she licking there?

Any changes in urinating? Does she scoot/ drag her hind end on the ground at all?

Christine

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
MY DOG IS 2 YEARS OLD.NO SHE'S NOT SPAYED.SHE'S BEEN SWOLLEN FOR 2 WEEKS.YAP SHE'S LICKING DOWN THERE.NO CHANGES IN URINATING.SHE DOES NOT SCOOT HER HIND END ON THE GROUND.

She's in heat. As they get older, their vulva swells more and more with each heat. Some dogs have bloody discharge for the 3 weeks they are in heat. Some have what we call a silent heat with no discharge apparent. You can check for discharge by trying to stop her licking for 10 min then wiping a white tissue down the center of her vulva, top to bottom. Between the folds. You may see discharge then.

The swelling this badly should last at least 3 weeks, but may not return completely to normal as she ages. It will swell more with each heat, which can occur every 6 months to 1 year in most dogs.

Let me know if I can help further.

Christine