Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery

My vet offered to give my dachshund pain medicine with prednisone,

My vet offered to give my dachshund pain medicine with prednisone, but we thought he was not in pain. Tonight he is in pain can I give him baby apirin with prednisone until I can contact my vet in the morning? Any help would be appreciated.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 7 years ago.
I would NOT recommend combining aspirin with prednisone. The combination can lead to significant stomach irritation and ulceration.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is there anything I can do to releive his pain?
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 7 years ago.
What type of pain is he in?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
back pain and he cannot use his back legs which the vet is aware of, but he does have feelings in his legs.
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 7 years ago.
If he is unable to use his legs, Ideally he needs to be dealt with far more aggressively than just sending him home after giving a steroid injection, if he is to have a chance to walk again.

I would strongly recommend taking him to an emergency veterinary clinic so that his neurologic status can be evaluated and he can receive some proper pain management and possibly be considered for back surgery, if that is financially possible.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
We can go to the Vet school but money is the problem and I have dealt with this problem before with another dachshund who is doing fine now. If this does not work, we will take him to the vet school. My problem is I did not get pain medicine but will get it in the morning. He is not moving accept when I take him outside to go to the bathroom. He is being a lap baby. Anyway I thought I remember giving Sophie baby aspirin when she was on prednisone. Thanks for your help
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 7 years ago.
I understand, I know that back problems can get expensive very quickly :(

I wish I could recommend giving anything at home -- but after steroids have been used, our options really are very narrow for what to give that's safe.