Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

My dog is in end-stage congestive heart failure. She weighs

Customer Question

My dog is in end-stage congestive heart failure. She weighs 60lbs. Is part doberman, part Rottweiller runt of the litter. She takes Enalapril 10 mg bid, Pemobendan 5 mg BID, Lasix 60 mg BID. She was taking the Pemobendan 10mg BED, but we saw no difference, and recently lowered it back to just one pill. Her breathing is very labored on exhale. Any suggestions? Thank you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 7 years ago.
I am sorry to hear about this situation. First, as you would expect me to say, if the breathing is labored currently, you need to get into your vet now.
Pimobendan can have a big dose range, so possibly increasing the dose or giving it more frequently may substantially help.
Next, if the fluid is building up in the lungs, the lasix dose may be able to be increased or given more frequently, or your vet can add on a product called Spironolactone, another very effective diuretic to get that fluid out of the lungs.

Definitely, consult your vet about adding Spironolactone or increasing the dose of the other drugs. Go ahead and give more lasix right now and go to the vet.

Good Luck