Walter, Breeder
Experience:  Breeder and pet health consultant. Have spent a number of years with dog rescue, training and health

My dog just ate a bunch of Iris bulbs... is this dangerous

My dog just ate a bunch of Iris bulbs... is this dangerous?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Walter replied 7 years ago.

This is a toxic plant, though typically death or serious illness isn't common. Salivation, vomiting, drooling,lethargy, diarrhea, is the most common side effects. The problem is she ate quite a bit of the bulbs which can be serious.

If this has been within the last 2 hours, grab a bottle of hydrogen peroxide (3% regular household) You can induce vomiting with hydrogen peroxide. I would recommend giving one teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight immediately and gently shake the stomach. Wait 10-15 minutes and if she has not vomited repeat the dosage.

If she is not able to vomit I want you to call her vet to see if they want to bring her in to induce vomiting with stronger medications. The peroxide should bring this up. If it comes up she will have no problems but if this has not come up then she will need to see the vet.

If this has been over 2 hours, she will need to see the emergency vet regardless.