Cher, Dog Caregiver--Extensive Experience
Experience:  Extensive Experience Caring for Canines; Specializing in behavior and health concerns.

My dog ate the bathroom rug fibers. What can I do

My dog ate the bathroom rug fibers. What can I do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.

How long ago did your dog ingest the rug fibers?

Did she eat the 'furry' part of the rug, or by 'fibers', do you mean she ate the stringy part, from the underside?

How is your dog acting now?

Is she drinking the milk you're offering? Has she eaten anything?

Any vomiting, diarrhea or constipation since this happened? Has she defecated at all?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
She ate it 3 days ago. She ate a little food at first, but is throwing up what little she eats. She ate the furry part of the rug with maybe just a little of the rubber on the bottom. She is drinking water but acts lethargic now, but does go out to potty (liquid). SHe has had maybe 5 bms in 3 days and has eliminated a small amount of the rug fibers, but not today. I guess you could say that she is constipated today and is throwing up her food when she tries to eat. She will eat a treat, however. SHe does drink milk.

Thanks for your reply.
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.
Hello again, and thanks for your reply with additional information.

It's most likely that your dog has an intestinal obstruction and irritation from the ingestion of the parts of the rug, and because she's throwing up, lethargic and unable to keep food down, it would be a good idea to have her evaluated by the ER vet, if your vet is closed today. She may need an x-ray to see if there is an obstruction, because the rug material and rubber backing are not digestible, especially the rubber backing. Continue to offer her water and milk to drink, but if the vomiting continues and she's unable to hold food down and is not able to defecate, she does need treatment from the vet, in person, to help her get rid of the obstruction.

I hope all will be well with your dog, once she's treated!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How about oatmeal or some laxative since she has passed a small amount? If she's passed a small amount, does that mean she could possibly pass the rest?
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.
Hi again,

Because she passed some, it's possible she could pass the rest, with help, but I'm most concerned about the rubber backing. You said you saw some of the rug fibers in her stool, and that's easier to pass because it's soft. You can try some cat hairball remedy, like Laxatone or Petromalt, or just plain Vaseline, if you have it in the house. Also, add a little mineral oil or vegetable oil (1/2 tsp.) to what she's drinking, if she's not eating and/or because when she eats, you said she's vomiting. You can also put 1/2 tsp. of Metamucil in some canned food, but again, if she's vomiting, she may not keep it down. Plain canned pumpkin (not pie filling) is good, to get some natural fiber into her, but again, it needs to be mixed into a small amount of food, and also, it's not a quick fix for constipation, as it takes a week or two to see the beneficial effects and now, you need her to get rid of the carpet material, immediately.

Sometimes, none of the traditional home remedies to alleviate constipation will help, if there is an obstruction from ingestion of a non-food item, as you describe, so it would be best if you could get help in person, from the vet. Continue feeding her liquids, as this can only help, as long as she's not throwing them up. If she continues to vomit, nothing can go down, because she can't get rid of her obstruction.