Dr. Marcia
Dr. Marcia, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a Companion Animal Veterinarian with 15 years of medical and surgical experience

My dog ate about 50 styrofoam peanuts what should I do

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Marcia replied 7 years ago.
thank you so much for your question!
I have a few for you--

1) How big is your dog?
2) did he just eat these peanuts?

thank you, XXXXX
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
about 28 pounds. I am not sure how long ago she ate these it was during the night
Thank you for the additional information!

it may be worthwhile to induce vomiting in your dog, as these peanuts may be just sitting in the stomach. Inducing vomiting is most effective when they have eaten something within the last hour, but since we don't know when she ate them, it may be a good idea to see if you can get some of that styrofoam up.
the easiest way to induce vomiting is with hydrogen peroxide, given orally. Syrup of ipecac can also be used (follow label directions) For a dog this size I would give several tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide. vomiting will usually occur within the next 15-20 minutes.

If no peanuts are produced, or if your dog does not vomit, I would not be too alarmed but just be watching your dog very closely the next few days. Styrofoam fortunately is not toxic, but is not very digestible, so there is a danger of it causing a blockage in the stomach or intestines. So you will want to watch that your dog is eating and drinking normally, passing stool, etc. You may see styrofoam in the stool as well! If your dog suddenly stops eating, is vomiting a lot, acting painful or lethargic, she needs to be checked by a vet right away for possible blockage. I hope you can get some of the peanuts out by inducing vomiting so there would be less concern of blockage. But it is amazing what dogs will pass in their stool.
I hope this helps, and thank you for your question!
Dr. Marcia