Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 18 years experience.
13866827

I think my dogs neck is out of alignment or has disc problems

I think my dog's neck is out of alignment or has disc problems or something really painful. She seems sensitive around her neck area and keeps hunching her back very high and staying like that. She won't eat. I just noticed if I lifted the plate to her head, she ate. Am I right about needing a dog chiro?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Scarlett replied 7 years ago.

It does sound like your dog may have some neck problems. If she is resistant to move her head up and down or side to side it could be a cervical disk problem. You can also feel the muscles around her neck and see if they feel really tight.

Back/neck problems are a pretty common problem in small dogs or long-backed dogs like Dachshunds or Basset hounds.

I think that a veterinary chiropractor can be beneficial for these dogs. BUT, sometimes the disk disease can lead to a rupture of the disk material into the spinal canal and cause paralysis. Oftentimes surgery is the best option at that time, although acupuncture has been shown to be helpful in some cases (particularly when back surgery isn't affordable to the owner).

It is very important to keep your dog confined--don't let her run, jump, do stairs, etc. She should be on a leash for going to the bathroom and no long walks. I do recommend you take her to your vet tomorrow for some pain medication and muscle relaxants to make her feel better and decrease the inflammation (and to make sure that disk disease is the problem). Once your dog seems to be doing a little better I would look into taking her to a chiropractor.

Hope that helps!

Dr. Scarlett