Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery

my dog threw up a very small piece of bone this morning, her

my dog threw up a very small piece of bone this morning, her stomach contracts a little bit here and their. She has used the bathroom since and everything so far seems fine. Should I be worried or take her to see a vet?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 7 years ago.
When did she eat the bones? What kind of bones were they?

How big of a piece did she vomit?

Is she eating normally otherwise?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It migh have been yesterday from a rib done but just the little left over pieces of it from another dog that had eaten it! It was less than a half inch big. She ate her dinner last night and some hard food, she's not a big day time eater so she hasn't eaten so far today, but she did begged for some of my food this morning!
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 7 years ago.
If she is still interested in food today then I wouldn't worry too much just yet. Rib bones usually are thin and the stomach acids can remove calcium from the bones and make them softer. There's still a risk of blockage, so if you see any loss of appetite, or continued vomiting, or she is just very lethargic or painful, please take her in to your veterinarian for an x-ray ASAP!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ive just been informed that she just tried to throw up but couldn't and she is getting a little bit of stomach spasims! She's up and walking around and active. She also just went to the bathroom and its normal color and its NOT diahrea! She is breathing fine, and playing with the other house dog we have! Would you say she might just have an upset stomach right now from the throwing up this morning?
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 7 years ago.
It's possible that she just has an upset stomach, but she could also have some gastritis fromthe bone irritating the stomach lining, or even pancreatitis. If she continues to try to vomit, please don't hesitate to take her to be seen by your veterinarian!