Pets_Doc
Pets_Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Chief of Staff, Senior ER Clinician
10983809

Dog is panting heavy, not eating or drinking and is shaking.

Dog is panting heavy, not eating or drinking and is shaking. Won't lay down very restless
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pets_Doc replied 5 years ago.

Good evening,

I'm sorry to hear that your pet is not feeling well.

It sounds as if your pet is experiencing some form of pain.

If this is pain you describe may be from many sources, and It is possible and very common in pets for strains and sprains to occur. The most common areas are in the neck and Back. However other locations can also suffer muscle and tendon injuries. Some may result in severe pain and swelling The more severe the pain is, the more likely that the injury is serious. This often follows vigorous exercise, about 12 hours later, or sometimes can occur by twisting or turning 'the wrong way.' Pets can also exhibit panting and rapid breathing associated with pain, and this may indicate that the pain is severe.

A good physical examination and possible x-rays are necessary to diagnose this condition. If the pain is abdominal, then bloodwork and a fecal examination may also be needed. After diagnosis, there are several methods of treatment available. Depending on the extent of the injury, your veterinarian may give you different options.

We all know how bad back and neck pain can hurt - having your regular Veterinarian administer pain medications and muscle relaxers is advised....ESPECIALLY if it gets worse. Rest is also advised. The less your pet moves, the better and faster they will heal. Please do not give over the counter pain medications such as aspirin or Tylenol - these can be toxic and will severely limit the medications which a veterinarian may need to use on a future visit to help your pet.

Most starting medications for muscular injuries are Rimadyl, Tramadol, and Methocarbamol.

The signs may also be related to abdominal pain of some sort, and can be from changes in diet, pancreatitis, constipation, or an obstruction (if he has a tendency to eat things that he should not). If this continues or worsen, then abdominal radiograpjs may be necessary.

If this is determined not to be related to pain or arthritis, then your pet should have bloodwork and a urinalysis performed to make sure that she does not have any significant changes in her organ function that may make her behave in this way.

What you are describing MAY ALSO be some form of an allergic reaction. There can be a number of causes for allergic reactions in pets. This can be caused by insect bites or stings, dusts, pollens, foods, etc. Occasionally, certain medications, foods, or food bowls, may also cause similar signs. The most common cause would be an insect bite or sting - this could have happened several hours ago, or your pet may have found a dead insect lying around somewhere that you did not see. In many of these cases, pets respond well to antihistamine therapy. Giving regular human Bendadryl (generic is fine) may help to resolve the signs. The dosing is 1 mg per pound of body weight, which is 10 mg for a 10 lb pet. The children's formulation is 12.5 mg per teaspoon - 10 mg of this would equal 4 ml or 3/4 teaspoon. This drug can cause mild drowsiness. Regular 25 mg tablets can be used for a 20 to 25 lb dog. This can be repeated up to every 6 hours if necessary.

If treating with benadryl does not help, or if he continues to have facial swelling (after giving Benadryl), hives, or difficulty breathing, emergency medical care for an allergic reaction will be needed. Unfortunately, the cause of most allergic reactions is not easy to determine.

I hope that this is helpful, and if so, please click accept.

Dr. G

Pets_Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Chief of Staff, Senior ER Clinician