Dr. Margo
Dr. Margo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12yrs as veterinarian

Can you give a dog worm medicine while they are pregnant My

Customer Question

Can you give a dog worm medicine while they are pregnant? My lab is really close to having her first litter of puppies, but i believe she has worms.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Margo replied 7 years ago.

What type of worms do you think she has?

How close is your dog to her whelping date?

Dr. M

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am unsure. They are flat, white and elastic like. I was out of town and had her boarded for five days. I just picked her up today. She was lying on my bed and when she got up I noticed one. I believe she is very close to having her pups. Her milk is coming in and she is very swollen at her back end.
Expert:  Dr. Margo replied 7 years ago.

Are these worms about the size of a grain of rice? Or maybe a little smaller?

Do they wiggle or elongate themselves when moving?

Dr. M

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Yes, that is exactly what they appear to be like.

Expert:  Dr. Margo replied 7 years ago.

Praziquantel is the medication used to treat tapeworms (the type you seem to be describing). This medication is listed to be safe in pregnant and nursing dogs.

But all of the safety information puts this in vague terms such as "unlikely to pose harm to nursing offspring" and "considered safe to use in pregnant dogs or cats." So yes you can use this medication but I would still recommend waiting until she has whelped so you can dose her correctly.

Dosage is by body weight and you do not need to treat the puppies. If you dose her after she has whelped you will use less medication and have a more accurate treatment.

If there is anything else I can answer please let me know.

Dr. M