Dr.Fiona
Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years experience as a companion animal veterinarian in British Columbia, California and Ontario
7995545

WHAT IF MY 10 MONTH OLD PUPPY ATE MY ABILIFY 2MG

Customer Question

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,

I would like to help you and your dog, but need a bit more information.

How much does your dog weigh?

Do you have hydrogen peroxide in the house?

Fiona
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
he weighs 5 pounds and yes i do have hydrogen peroxide.
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 5 years ago.
Ok - I would induce him to vomit if he were my patient!

I am happy to tell you how to induce vomiting... but do always check with a vet before doing so. There are some situations in which you should NOT induce vomiting (such as if he ate something sharp like a bone, or something like used engine oil, or a battery if it was punctured and the caustic material was leaking out.. these things are better dealt with in the stomach as it is stronger than the espophagus which could be damaged during vomiting these things).

To make him vomit, you could take your dog to a veterinarian immediately as this is the safest possible option. If this is absolutely impossible, you could attempt it at home, but know that there is some small risk of aspiration of vomitus.

You can make your dog vomit by using 3% hydrogen peroxide.

Give 2 teaspoons per 10lbs body weight. If yourdog weighs 5lbs, then you could give him 1 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide by mouth.

There are 2 ways to do this:

1. METHOD ONE

Tip his nose to the ceiling and pour it down his throat with a shot glass, or a turkey baster. To do this, hold the dog between your knees with you kneeling on the floor. Have the dog face away from you. Point the nose to the ceiling, open the mouth and quickly pour the FULL dose into the back of the mouth.

You can repeat in 10 minutes if he has not vomited yet.

More here: http://www.petplace.com/dogs/how-to-induce-vomiting-emesis-in-dogs/page1.aspx

I find the shot glass method to be the most effective!

2. METHOD TWO

If you are not able to give it by mouth as described above, you can use the following method:
1. Feed a small meal or slice of bread first - they are more likely to vomit with some food in the stomach.
2. Dogs will often drink peroxide if you mix it 50:50 with milk or ice cream, and it is just as effective.
3. Dogs are more likely to vomit after getting hydrogen peroxide if they move around - play ball, go for a walk, run up and down stairs - as this heightens the fizzing.
4. Always check the expiration date of the peroxide. If it is old it doesn't fizz very well!

You should not do it more than twice. The vast majority of dogs will vomit with this! It is useful in case he eats chocolate, prescription medications, or sugarless gum containing xylitol.

Hope that helps!

If this has been helpful, please Accept my answer and leave feedback.

If you need more information, just click on reply and I will still be here to provide it!

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would strongly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.

Fiona

Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 16 years experience as a companion animal veterinarian in British Columbia, California and Ontario
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
if he vomited twice on his own about 10 minutes ago, is that considered enough? each was small, about the size of half dollar or a little bigger.
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 5 years ago.
What was in the vomitus? Did you see the pill?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

the vomit was yellowish/green and had small pieces of the hot dog we give him as treats. there was no pill, but i'm sure he would have chewed it up. the pill comes a light green color.

Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 5 years ago.
I would make him vomit again if he were my patient...
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 5 years ago.
Hi again,

Abilify is aripiprazole. It is not a drug we use in veterinary medicine.

Here is more about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aripiprazole

In the human literature the most common signs of an overdose include low blood pressure, sleepiness, and heart arrythmias.

Even at much higher doses then your pup received there have been no known fatalities from this drug in dogs. However, it can cause problems for several days as it takes 3-5 days to clear most of it from the body.

No specific information is available on the treatment of overdose with aripiprazole in the dog. We treat supportively and use an ECG to watch for cardiac arrythmias.

Otherwise, management of overdose should concentrate on supportive therapy, maintaining an adequate airway, oxygenation and ventilation, and management of symptoms. Close medical supervision and monitoring should continue until the patient recovers.

So, getting this out is recommended!

After making your dog vomit, it may be useful to give activated charcoal. In Canada you can buy it in the local pharmacy and I expect you can in the USA as well. It is widely used in human and veterinary medicine to bind up any toxins that have been ingested. The dosage for activated charcoal (all forms whether capsule or suspension) is 1-3 grams per kilogram of body weight.

Here are some links about activated charcoal:
http://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz/Atoz/common/standard/transform.jsp?requestURI=/healthatoz/Atoz/ency/charcoal_activated.jsp
http://www.drugs.com/vet/uaa-universal-animal-antidote-gel.html

You can mix this in with some canned dog food, plain rice, or even some onion-free human baby food to encourage your dog to eat it. The activated charcoal will help to bind up any of the drug that still remains in the intestines.

I hope that this helps!

You do NOT need to click on accept again even though the system will prompt you to do so!

If you need more information, just click on reply and I will still be here to answer further questions!

Best wishes to you and to your dog! Fiona