Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

My Pug (Ruby) seems to be having problems urinating. This

My Pug (Ruby) seems to be having problems urinating. This just started this morning, she was fine yesterday. She is also throwing up. Not alot or often, but some. Any ideas. She seems fine temperment wise.

What do you mean 'problems' urinating?

Is there blood in the urine?

When was the last time she defecated?

Any possibility she ate something she shouldn't have?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
When she spuits to urinate, she seems to be struggling, but nothing comes out. She's not bleeding. She defecated yesterday, but not this morning. Not sure it she ate something she should not have.

Difficulty urinating can be caused urinary stones, Cystitis, Kidney Disease, Bladder Cancer, or Urinary Bacterial Infections.

Urinary Stones are common and found in the kidneys, bladder and urethra though usually they are in the bladder. The formation of crystals or stones in urinary tract can be caused by the following factors usually working together: mineral crystals in the urine, bacteria, diseases, some medications, excess Vitamin C, imbalance in pH of urine. Typical symptoms are straining to urinate, frequent urination of small amounts and blood in the urine. Some breeds are known to have problems with stones. These are Miniature Schnauzer, Schnauzer, Lhasa Apso, Shih Tzu, Bichon Frise, Miniature poodle, and Yorkshire terrier.

Cystitis is when your dog's bladder becomes inflamed. It is believed that infections, polyps, tumors and stones contribute to this condition, but the actual cause is unclear. Typical symptoms are straining to urinate, frequent urination, straining to urinate, difficulty urinating and blood in the urine.

Kidney Disease is a common cause of non-accidental death in dogs. It is not clear what causes kidney disease but it is believed that dehydration, blood loss, impaired heart function, tumors, infections and toxins contribute to it. Some medications for kidney disease may cause blood in the urine.

Bladder cancer occurs in middle-aged and older dogs. Bladder cancer is not as common as other causes such as Urinary tract infections, though it is not recognized early for that same reason. Typical symptoms are frequent urination, urinating small amounts, blood in the urine, and infections.

Urinary bacterial infections can occur in bladder (most common), kidneys, urethra, and prostate. They are easily treated once diagnosed. They are the major cause of the prostate disease in male dogs. The prostate becomes inhabited by bacterial and it becomes difficult to eliminate. Some other conditions such as diabetes, cancer and viral diseases affect a dog's immune system and may contribute to this condition.

The best thing to do is to get your pup in to see a vet as soon as you can. Some of the possibilities for what is going on can end up being very painful or life threatening if left untreated.

I hope this helps!!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
is there anything i maight give her at home that may help ease her until i can get to the vet. I have no car so i will have to get a moble vet.

You can try giving a little canned pumpkin (just canned pumpkin, NOT pumpkin pie filling), in case what she's really got going on is a bit of constipation (sometimes dogs look like they're having trouble urinating, when it's really that they're constipated).

But I would have the mobile vet come out as soon as possible...just in case it's something serious.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you sooo much. I will try that and start finding a mobile vet asap.
Good luck!!