Dr. D
Dr. D, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a general practitioner in a busy small animal hospital.

My dog has been having uncontrollable bowel movements for the

My dog has been having uncontrollable bowel movements for the last 3 days and it is usually when he gets up after sleeping he is 12 years old and he looks miserable the vet could not find anything in his feces and the medicine Metronidazole is not working.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. D replied 5 years ago.
Does your dog have trouble getting up or laying down? Sometimes in older dogs - joint pain and arthritis can cause inappropriate eliminations. If his stool sample was normal and the metronidazole is not helping - some further testing may be warranted.
Are the bowel movements normal or are they loose/runny? Does it seem as though the BM's are more frequent or in larger volumes? Is he aware that he is eliminating or does it appear to be more of a passive event? Is he on any medications? Has any blood work been done?

If you could clarify the above questions I may be able to offer some more help or suggestions.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He seems to be o.k. with getting up and laying down. I did notice that he will just sit in an upright position almost like he does not want to move or is having trouble moving I'm thinking maybe because he is sore. The stools are very loose and runny. He wants to eat though and the poop wasn't as runny after he ate still not hard at all very frequent especially when he starts to move around
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
also last blood work was about 9 months ago
Expert:  Dr. D replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the clarification.

Frequent, runny stools are usually a sign of colitis. Colitis is a generic term for an inflammation of the colon - and this can be caused by many things. Your veterinarian is treating with metronidazole - and antibiotic that is effective at treating common bacterial overgrowths in the colon. You may also want to try a bland, intestinal diet (such as boiled chicken/hamburger and rice) to help the gut "normalize".

Depending on how long the antibiotic has been given (ususally improvement is seen in 3-4 days) you may still see improvement - so continue to give as prescribed.

If the current treatment plan fails to improve signs, then I would generally recommend repeating blood work (to look at liver and kidney values, along with electrolytes and cell counts) as this may give light to other possible internal causes. Sometimes x-rays of the abdomen are helpful in these cases to look for abnormalities such as tumors, evidence of obstruction, or changes in the intestines that may suggest an underlying cause. X-rays would also be helpful in evaluating the hips and spine - which can cause stiffness/soreness and difficulty posturing to defecate (though not a cause for diarrhea).

It sounds as though your veterinarian is doing a good job thus far, be patient as these can be frustrating cases to get to the bottom of.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.
Dr.D
Dr. D, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: I am a general practitioner in a busy small animal hospital.