Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

My Dog has had horrible explosive watery yellow diarrhea since

My Dog has had horrible explosive watery yellow diarrhea since Sunday (6days). She was given a treat and by that nite this all started. However, I took her to vet today and they did profolactic deworming, Sub Q fluids, tried stool analysis; too runny, anti-diarrehea injection and antiobiotics. We are also doing bland diet and pedialyte. The dog is no better tonite. The diarrhea leeks pretty consisitently. Her anus is horribly swollen and she is dragging her butt. Very stinky too. Ideas? Help!

Hello, I'm sorry to hear about your dog.

It sounds like your dog has some bad colitis (inflammation of the colon). This can be due to infection, stress or even food allergies. Usually it will resolve on it's own over 7-10 days but it sounds like your dog is not getting any better. I would hope that one of the meds your dog is on is Metronidazole. This is what I would put the dog on as it will resolve diarrhea in 2-3 days. If she is still within 24 hours of going to the vet then it may not be resolving yet. I'd keep giving them and usually by 48 hours it starts to firm up some and have the consistency of soft serve ice cream- sorry for the analogy.

If it's still not any better tomorrow, then you may want to try some Immodium. I would check with your vet first as I don't know what she was given. I dose Immodium at 0.05-0.1 mg/lb twice daily.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Dr. Gary,

Thanks for your reply the antibioticsI have are metro.Liquid and Albon Liquid. Is her anus so swollen an inflammed due to all the diarrhea? It is really swollen and she keeps scooting and licking? Blocked anal glands wouldn't have caused this right? And the vet would've noted that on exam right? You have given me some hope.

Thank You,

Bethany Paternoga

Yes the anus is probably swollen due to the diarrhea. Blocked anal glands can still be possible and this is often the sequela after some diarrhea. If a rectal exam was not done, then it can go overlooked. Sometimes biting chihuahuas are difficult to do a good rectal on as they squirm and scream and have such a small anus.

Hopefully things look better soon here. Best of luck
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you. She is doing great! Solid stools finally and I have been putting Vaseline on rectum. God Bless U! Best of Luck!