Ann M.
Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005

Diarrhea and Sore butt

My dog has had diarrhea for 2 days now. It seems to be less frequent now, however she is licking her butt raw. I have been keeping her butt clean with tepid water only if I see that she has feces on her butt, but now there is no feces but she won't stop licking and it is blood red and raw. She is a toy poodle about 8 years old. I only gave her half her normal food this morning. We didn't feed her last night when we normally do. She had about a half cup if that of dry food this morning. I have kept a water bowl out for her. We have given her Equate for diarrhea 1/2 tsp. last night, this morning and this afternoon.

Sometimes when a dog has diarrhea, the anal sacs that are present on either side of the anus can become full and painful (the firm feces helps express the contents of the anal sacs, so with diarrhea, they can get very full). This may be why she is licking her anus raw. I would go to a pet store and purchase an e-collar (cone collar) for her to wear so that she can't lick her anus. That is the first step, because otherwise it will continue to get worse. Then, for the diarrhea, I would try feeding her boiled chicken breast mixed with white rice in a 50/50 mixture for the next week, and then once the diarrhea stops, wean her back onto her regular food slowly. I would also try giving 1 tablespoon of canned pumpkin twice daily, as this is a natural fiber that can help with the diarrhea. Then get her in to a vet to get her anal sacs expressed, and that should help. If the diarrhea does not resolve, it is possible she could have intestinal parasites causing all this, so you should take a stool sample in to your vet.

Best of luck.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX give that a try.