Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

Is removing a dogs canine teeth safe.

Is removing a dogs canine teeth safe.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 years ago.
Yes this is a common procedure and dogs do fine without a canine tooth. If it's a bottom tooth, the tongue may hang out of the mouth at times but other than that there should not be any other unwanted side effects.

Reasons to remove the tooth: fractured tooth, root abscess, severe dental disease.

Hope that helps.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The dog in mention can be agressive to the owners when it needs something done to him. The dog broke a toenail and he was taking care of it by himself. The owner reached down to pick up something near his bad paw and the dog bit him. They are worried about the bite and thought if the canines were removed this would help

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 years ago.
Oh, in this case I don't know of any vets that would do the procedure and I doubt it would help. This dog will still be able to bite and will likely bite harder without the canine teeth as you would be taking away their defense. Even a dog with no teeth will hurt when it bites.

In my opinion, removing teeth to help prevent biting is inhumane and could be subject to malpractice. I wouldn't recommend it.

The options for this dog: good obedience training, find a new home, euthanasia.