Dr. Wally
Dr. Wally, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years experience in veterinary field.

One of my dogs pupils has turned white. He cannot see out

Customer Question

One of my dog's pupils has turned white. He cannot see out of it. I took him to the vet and he didn't know what it was???
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Wally replied 7 years ago.

Good evening, and thank you for your question.

When a dog's pupil turns white, it is likely that you are seeing the lens which has a cataract. You can read more about cataracts here:

It can happen in one eye, or both. It can affect the old or the young. They can turn white slowly or seemingly overnight.

I'm not sure why your vet was unable to diagnose this problem. This makes me think that it is not a cataract. Though it sounds like you are describing this. If your vet confirmed it is not a cataract, let me know and I'll see if I can find out a bit more to help you better.

If you feel my answer was helpful, please click on ACCEPT. Feedback & Bonuses are always welcome. If a deposit has been made, it remains with Just Answer until you press ACCEPT. Once you press ACCEPT then I am paid.

If there is something I can further clarify, Click REPLY. Our dialog continues even after you click accept, I want to be sure your question is fully answered.