Christian K.
Christian K., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of veterinary experience in canine surgery, medicine and behavior

My dog started to favor his left front paw about 3 days ago.

My dog started to favor his left front paw about 3 days ago. We had found a piece of his nail in the carpet a few days before that. He did not sustain injury to that paw that we know of. He is an indoor dog and I'm with him all day. The nail is cracked and somewhat exposed. His paw is not swelled and he hasn't shown any other signs of discomfort other than favoring it. No crying or change in behavior. He's a Golden Retriever.

This is Dr. Christian.

• Is the nail bleeding?
  • How much does he weigh?
  • Is he on any medications or have any medical conditions?
  • How old is he?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No blood, ever that I saw. He's about 90 pounds. No meds, and he's about 1 1/2 y/o.

You can try 2 adult buffered 325mg aspirin twice daily for pain. Only give this for 2-3 days due to the possibility of stomach upset. Give him some strict rest for 4-5 days. If he does not improve or if he is not carrying any weight on it then I would recommend taking him in to your vet. Keeping the foot wrapped and applying the antibiotic ointment is a great idea. If the toe becomes swollen and red then he'll need to be seen and may require antibiotics. If you have more questions please let me know.