LindaR
LindaR, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  15+ years in small animal practice with experience in canine medicine, surgery and critical care
15131866

My Great Dane has some warts developing on her paws. How do

Customer Question

My Great Dane has some warts developing on her paws. How do I treat these and how do I prevent further spreading?
Category: Dog
Expert:  LindaR replied 5 years ago.
Hello calli

I think you really need to see your vet to confirm that you are dealing with warts. Skin conditions and lumps mimic each other in appearance and so it is always better to confirm what you are dealing with before considering treatment.

Warty skin growths are usually benign. They often start to appear as dogs get older and usually only start to cause problems if they become traumatised and infected, or if the dog is licking at them excessively. If your dog has these on her paws it may be an idea to get them removed as they are in an area where they can easily be traumatised. This is usually a simple procedure and vets often use cryosurgery or electrocautery to remove them with the dog just under sedation.

Your vet may suggest that the growths be removed surgically and sent to the laboratory for analysis if he is concerned that they may not be benign warts.

I would not apply any products at home until you have confirmation as to what the lumps are. No medical treatment is used for warts in dogs unless they start bleeding or become infected and your vet will be able to prescribe an ointment to use is this occurs.

I hope that this has been of some assistance to you.

LindaR
LindaR, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 15+ years in small animal practice with experience in canine medicine, surgery and critical care
Expert:  LindaR replied 5 years ago.
Hi Calli

My apologies, but for some reason the 'Already tried' part of your question did not show up on my screen initially. It certainly seems as though the problem is causing you a lot of frustration.

Unfortunately, once the animal starts to suffer from warts there really is nothing you can do to stop them appearing. You can try the wart removing remedies at a local level and treat secondary infections as they develop. Making sure she is on a good diet and giving vitamin supplementation is important to maintain a good immune system which can help her body fight against this condition.

The only consolation is that this can sometimes be a self-limiting condition and you may find that eventually the warts should stop appearing.

I am sorry that I cannot be of more assistance to you, but it sounds as though you are doing all the right things already.

LindaR