Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian

my dog has been sluggish for two days, moving very slow what

my dog has been sluggish for two days, moving very slow what could be wrong?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 years ago.
Hi thereCustomer

Thank you for your question regarding your 2 year old female Yorkie mix who has been a little lethargic for the last couple of days. As you can imagine, there are quite a number of potential systemic problems that could now be manifesting here ranging from an organ problem like kidney or liver failure, a systemic problem like heart failure or even possibly even something such as blunt trauma from running into something or from being kicked or hurt by another person or dog. It could also be that your dog has gotten into something in the yard that could have caused her to become dull and lethargic. The options are endless for these symptoms and this is why it is so important we get your dog checked out by a qualified Vet next time you can get her to your local Vet clinic. I would also definitely recommend a full blood panel for your girl to check her organ function, ensure she doesn't have an anemia as well as to help rule out endocrinological diseases like hypothyroidism, Cushings, Diabetes and Addisons disease.

Hopefully your girl is still eating and drinking and still relatively bright. If she isn't then I really would encourage you to get your dog checked as soon as you can. The sooner something is picked up, the easier it is to treat. Too often my clients leave these symptoms too late before bringing their animals to me and by then too much irreversible damage has been done.

Whatever the case you should at least visit your Vet in the morning - unless she seems absolutely symptomless by then. Please keep a close eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appeal white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanced white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she is continuously panting throughout the night this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

If she has ongoing lethargy tonight, seems painful or you are just overly worried about her state of health - ease your peace of mind by getting her to your local emergency Vet clinic. At the very least, please get your Yorkie mix to the Vet when you next can and request a full check up and blood panel whilst giving your Vet the full history of what has happened over the last few days. Best of luck with this little girl and please reply if you require any further info won't you.

Thank you and please now click ACCEPT.

Kind Regards,

Dr M D Edwards