Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I have an English Bulldog that seems to be constipated. She

I have an English Bulldog that seems to be constipated. She gets into position to relieve herself but with no success. She has been like this for about 1-1/2 days. What should we do to relieve the constipation? This is not a common occurance.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for the questionCustomer

In direct answer to your question : From your description constipation would be one of a range of possibilities, if in doubt you should have your vet check your dog out.

However if your dog is constipated you may want to try oral remedies such mineral oil { liquid paraffin } which is an over the counter product available from your chemist or pharmacy to relieve your dog's constipation, this type of product is very gentle and safe. The dose rate for a Bulldog would be in the region off 5 ml twice a day. You can squirt this product into your dog's mouth using a small syringe you can also get from the pharmacy.

On a home remedy basis one of the things that might help is canned pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling, this is a gentle stool softener for dogs which makes it a good natural remedy for constipation. You could try two table spoons twice a day for an average sized dog like yours.

But be aware that there would be two kinds of constipation in the dog, the first would be a simple or primary constipation which happens now and again and is not related to any disease process and may be related to feeding, it should respond to the above treatment.

But dogs can appear to be constipated on a secondary basis for other reasons such as bowel obstruction or cancers of the bowel. This of course this is rare and you would usually see other signs related to this situation. But for this reason if the problem persists or other symptoms appear you should consider further tests such as X-ray to try to come to some diagnosis as to why your dog appears constipated.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Mr Nimmo,

Thank you for your advise. We will try your recommended remedies. The only thing that concerns us is that we just returned from a one week vacation. During that time, we had someone take care of the dog. We are not sure if she may have injested anything (foreign objects) that would cause this to happen. Given this lapse in direct oversite of the dogs care, would you suggest a vist to the local vet?

PS. I see you are currently located in Davoe . I have done work in that region, and other regions in the Philippines, over the last few years. Mostly in the design phase of Ethanol facilities. I have to say that the majority of the local citizens are very nice to visitors. I really enjoyed my work in that area.

Hello again,

I think that as there is some possibility that your dog may have ingested something and was not under your direct control it would be wise to have your vet check the dog over just to be on the safe side.

Davao City contrary to what you might think given the political situation is a very pleasant place to live and the people are very kind and friendly . The mayor is very keen on law and order so I feel safer wandering about here in the evenings, more so than I did in London.

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thanks,

I will do that.

You are very correct. I never felt threatened in any way while there, unfortunately, both project I was working on never went past the initial stages. If they had, I would have been there for 3-4 yrs.

I have a friend, that I worked with in Louisiana, that was originally from London, that also moved to the Philippines. He is living in Cebu and loving every minute of it.

If you are ever back in Davoa just contact me by googling my name and I will buy you a beer in the Marco Polo :-)

Cheers,

Scott