Dr. Debbie
Dr. Debbie, Veterinarian
Experience:  Full time practicing companion animal veterinarian.
4801514

My 13 year old male American Eskimo Spitz has been vomitting

Customer Question

My 13 year old male American Eskimo Spitz has been vomitting and has had diarrhea for approx. 3 days. He still eats his food and seems okay otherwise. I have been hearing his stomach gurgling as well.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Debbie replied 7 years ago.

How many times per day does he vomit?

How many times per day does he have diarrhea?

What is his normal food?

What does he eat for treats?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
well, it started a couple of nights ago and it happened during the night. so not sure if it all happened at once or if it was more than once. The first night the vomit was all fluid, no solids. Tonight he came to me to go out and he had diarrhea and while finishing vomitted as well. The diarrhea has been pretty much every time he goes out. The vomitting 1-2 times a day. His normal food is Pedigree. He gets 1/2 cup 2x day. Generally I do not give dog treats. Sometimes I will give them some apple or cheese or egg but this is not daily.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Now that I am thinking of it, he has been lying around more than usual but I guess that would be the case if you were experiencing his symptoms. He also seems a bit thin to me. Very bony feeling when I pet him.

I would be most suspicious that he may have a case of pancreatitis. Your vet can check for this with a quick blood test. The primary symptoms of this are vomiting, diarrhea, and poor appetite. With his age, other possibilties exist, too, and I would definitely get him in to your vet for a pancreatitis test and exam. If it is pancreatitis, he will need hospitalization for a couple days and IV fluids to resolve the problem.

Let me know if you have more questions,

Dr. Debbie

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
what would have brought this on if it is pancreatitis? He has never been sick in any way
Normally pancreatitis occurs from a change in diet or eating something that is hard to digest such as part of a toy, table food, etc.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
well with a 1 year old and a 4 year old there are definately toys around all of the time...I will call my Vet in the a.m. Thanks so much for your time! I am just hoping that it is not anything more serious.
You're welcome. Best of luck to you.