Dr. Marcia
Dr. Marcia, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a Companion Animal Veterinarian with 15 years of medical and surgical experience

my dog just ate a 300mg dose of lithium in a pill form one

my dog just ate a 300mg dose of lithium in a pill form one of the children dropped it on the floor and he ate it. Is he going to be ok from this?
Customer thank you so much for your question--can you tell me how much your dog weighs?

How long has it been since he ate the lithium?

thank you, XXXXX
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
about 10 minutes ago and he weighs 47 pounds
Thank you so much for your response!

I was figuring your dog might be close to 50 pounds.
Lithium is actually used in dogs occasionally to treat aplastic anemia, low white blood cells and even aggression, from what I researched.
The dose in dogs in about 10 mg/kg every 12 hours (your dog is about 21.3 kg, so a typical dose for his size would be about 213 mg. So eating 300 mg is not far off of a typical dose, and I found that very dangerous or possibly lethal doses would be more like 500 mg/kg, or about 10,500 mg for your dog!! So there appears to be a wide range for safety.
So this is great news for your dog, and this one time dose should be nothing to worry about. I hope this is a relief. I would not expect any ill effects.
Thank you for your question tonight!
Dr. Marcia
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

thank you so much he is my baby and it would kill me if anything happened to him. I am so thankful to you for your help.