Donna P.
Donna P., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Veterinary Technician with 15 years experience. Boston Terrier Breeder

How can I painlessly put my dog to sleep at home.

My dog is terribly afraid when he has to go to the vet. He is very old and in pain. I do not want him to suffer with going to the vet to be put to sleep. Is there a painless way to have him pass at home where he would be comfortable?
There is not a painless way to euthanize a dog at home - any drugs that would do this are controlled and unavailable. Attempting to give an overdose of some medication you may have would not be recommended as it can have unintended side effects (seizures, etc) and isn't guaranteed to be effective (the dog may recover and just be in further pain). There are vets that will travel to your house to put a pet to sleep and it may be worth it to find one that will service your area. It is also possible to discuss with the vet the possibility of getting tranquilizers to sedate the animal prior to the vets arrival so that the dog doesn't get stressed and upset.
I am sorry that you have come to this point in your dogs' life and understand the difficulty of this decision.   It is hard to bring some dogs into the vet and get them all worked up. Having the dog premedicated and a vet come to your house (some clinics may send a tech) you should be able to avoid much of this trauma.
If you need more information just reply to your question.
Donna P.
________If this was helpful, please click ACCEPT____________
thank you.