Donna P.
Donna P., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Veterinary Technician with 15 years experience. Boston Terrier Breeder
10212894

I just found my yorkie shaking like if it was freezing cold

I just found my yorkie shaking like if it was freezing cold outside (we live in florida) on the top of my bed she was desoriented and have no control of her legs I carried her to the floor to see if she could stand but she just dropped down I saw her jaw was forcefully closed. She made some sounds maybe they meant she was in pain. I am not sure. I took her in my arms and pet her gently and talked to her softly and the symptoms have dissapeared. I have called my vet and made an appointment asap for tomorrow and got the er number just in case she has another occurrence today. I have never seen her act like this are these the symptoms of seizure?
Hello EvaRuthMedina,
This could be a seizure as they can vary from very mild disoreintation to the grand mal seizures we all think about (convulsing). This may be redundant if you included additional information (sometimes it takes awhile to show up) but if she is around the age of 2 - 4 - the most common reasons for seizures are epilepsy. If they are older when seizures begin there is often some other underlying cause. Here is a link to more information about seizures.
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=560
Small toy breed dogs do also have problems with being hypoglycemic sometimes. The signs of this are often similiar to what you describe. It may be a good idea to try to make sue she eats something or rub some karo syrup on her gums - esp. if she has another episode. Here is a link to more information about this.
http://www.dog-health-guide.org/caninehypoglycemia.html
If you need more information just reply to your question.
Donna P.
__________If this was helpful, please click ACCEPT_______________
thank you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't think she is hypoglycemic but I could be wrong I guess tomorrow when I take her to the vet I will find out more. Can I give her honey instead of Karo syrup neither of us eats sugar so we have no syrup in the house. Also the episode lasted about a minute 1/2 thoughit felt like an eternity to me. Do I need to worry about cheching her brain with CT scans, MRI etc. Is there any simple test that can be done to see if she has had an epilepsy attack? What do I ask the vet to do check for blood sugar, liver, etc...I don't want them to just start telling me she needs this and that and then I live with $5000 less. Normally when I go to the vet I go ready so they don't take advantage. What do you suggest?
Hello again,
Yes, you could use honey.
What is normally recommended in a situation like this is a basic blood panel(CBC, glucose, liver enzymes, kidney enzymes, and possibly others) to rule out seizures due to some toxicity from liver or kidney failure. If the bloodwork comes back within normal limits than in young dogs it is assumed it is epilepsy. Unfortunately there is no test for epilepsy itself. In older dogs is gets more complicated because seizures at this age are often due to a brain lesion. They may suggest doing cat scans and MRI's - whether or not you consent to them and decide to spend the money is up to you. I would make sure that I asked lots of questions as it is my understanding that often there is nothing they can do about the brain lesions anyway. If the vet feels that there is a condition that they suspect that they would be able to treat after diagnosing than it may be worth doing the MRI. Some people want to know even if they can't do anything about it. If it were my dog, I would probably just stick with the bloodwork and then have them put my dog on seizure prevention medication if they got more frequent. I would want to know if the vet suspected it was due to a tumor or lesion so that I was prepared for the dog to continue to go down hill. But sometimes it is very slowly down hill - and I would just pray for this. But that is just my opinion on what I would be willing to do with my budget. You may have a different opinion and are the only one to decide what is right for your baby.
Donna P.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you so much for the info. My little Gabriella is 8 years old and this is the first time that has happened to her. I am going to request to do all the blood work first and see the results and if they come out negative you think then I should do the CT and MRI scans? I am freaking out hear I just lost my mother to a brain tumor so I would not be able to handle this right now...give me some light please Ms. Donna.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I accepted did you get paid yet?
Hello again,
It does not show up as accepted yet - so I haven't yet been credited. Hopefully that will work out. If your credit card is charged and it is not showing up as accepted - make sure you talk to the moderators about this. Sometimes it takes a bit though.
I am so sorry to hear about your mother - that would be so hard. There is really no wrong decision about deciding to do further diagnostics it just depends on whether you have the money and can afford to do it. If your vet suspects a brain tumor, and you wanted to pursue diagnostics, I would first ask for a referral to a veterinary neurologist. They should be able to give you a very good idea of what types of things might be going on and what the prognosis for each is - both with and without treatment. Once you have all of this information than you will be better able to make an informed decision. Don't worry too much about it yet though. It may end up being something rather simple - like some elevated liver enzymes some sort of infection that can be more easily identified and treated.
I hope all goes well tonight and at your appointment tomorrow.
Donna P.