Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

should i punture my dogs ear to drain blood untill i can get

should i punture my dogs ear to drain blood untill i can get her to a vet
I would not recommend doing this. The blood will not drain out if you puncture the ear, unless you withdraw it with a syringe. Even then, it will just fill back up again in a day or two. I drain these with a syringe, and at the same time inject steroids into the ear, to try to prevent its filling up again right away. I usually put them on oral steroids as well. I would try to get her to a veterinarian as soon as you can. In the meantime, unless she seems painful, I would just leave it alone. If you happen to have steroids like prednisone on hand, you could use them, but these are prescription drugs that you can't get over the counter. Antihistamines may help. You can give a dog Benedryl (diphenhydramine), about one milligram per pound of body weight, up to 3 times a day. Many of these blood filled ears are an allergic reaction, so the antihistamines may help until you can get her to a veterinarian. Hope this helps, Rebecca
Sorry, I did not see the Already Tried part of your question until I hit the Answer button. It does indeed sound like a hematoma. As I said, it will just keep filling with blood until she is started on steroids for the allergic reaction that is the underlying cause of these hematomas. In the meantime, I would try the antihistamines until you can get her to a vet. Rebecca