Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

my dog is stretching his body out and dragging himself around

my dog is stretching his body out and dragging himself around on the floor. He is also excessively licking himself near is genitals and hind legs
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the question.

While I cannot diagnose this over the internet it sounds to me as if your dog has some form of dermatitis, perhaps a contact dermatitis, these are usually allergic in origin.

I have seen quite a few dogs like this in my career, he may be pulling himself along the ground to try and relieve an itchy stomach area, the excessively licking you describe would bear this out.

I am so sorry I cannot suggest any home remedy here, this type of dermatitis is not responsive to simple over the counter remedies. Accordingly my advice would be that you should have your vet check your dog out and he or she will be able to easily relieve your dog's discomfort with prescription drugs.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
is this irritation something you normally can visually detect?
Hello again,

In minor cases you would not see a lot, but in moderate cases and above the skin on the dog's stomach and hind legs would be red and inflamed to some degree.

Regards,

Scott