Dr. Duncan
Dr. Duncan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from UF, Internship in Surgery and Internal Med; ER vet; 11 years of veterinary experience

walnuts bad for dogs

Customer Question

i have been making my own dog treats for my dogs i have been puting some walnuts in them , then someone told me thay walnuts are bad for dogs   i made a few batchen in the past few weeks... they dont seem affective by them ...i am not going to give them anymore..but should i bring them to the vets for a check-up??149 bullmastiff and a 70 lb lab
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Duncan replied 7 years ago.
Walnuts themselves are not toxic to dogs however they have been shown to cause some gastrointestinal upset (vomiting and diarrhea) in some dogs so I would be careful with giving too many. Also if the nut is swallowed whole (with the shell and all intact) then there is a risk for obstruction of the gut developing. I know you are not putting an entire nut in the treats but if you were to drop one on the floor while cooking be aware it could pose a threat.
   In addition there are some chemicals produced by molds called mycotoxins that can cause problems in dogs if they are present within the nuts. Presumptively this is only an issue in the case of walnuts that are old or collected from unsanitary sources but I think there is still a small risk of this mold even from walnuts from the grocery store.
    The botXXXXX XXXXXne is they are okay and I don't think your dogs need a check up unless of course they haven't had one in over 6 months.
   I hope this helps and puts your mind at ease.

Take care,
Dr. Sarah Duncan