Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience as Veterinarian

my 9 lb dog had some teeth pulled today. He is whining like

my 9 lb dog had some teeth pulled today. He is whining like he is in pain. is there anything I can give him (childrens tylenol perhaps)?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. K replied 7 years ago.

Did your vet send you home with any medications?
Do you know if the vet gave your dog an injectible medication for pain before leaving the hospital today?

Dr. K
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

He was given an Antibiotic/Anti-Infective Injection.

Was not sent home with any medications

Expert:  Dr. K replied 7 years ago.
That is really a shame. It is fairly standard protocol for vets to send a pain medication home for any dog that had teeth pulled, as there is quite a bit of inflammation associated with this post-operatively, and it is painful.

Unfortunately, there are no OTC painkillers that I can recommend for your dog for several reasons. The major reason being...if your dog did receive any type of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory injection today, the OTC medication will cause severe gastric upset (including bleeding and bloody vomit). Another is that OTC painkillers like aspirin can lead to increased bleeding tendencies, and therefore your dog could start bleeding from the areas where the teeth were pulled. Thirdly, you dog is kind of small to dose with an oral pill of anything available OTC.

So...if your dog is very uncomfortable tonight, your only option is to go to the emergency vet and have them give your dog a safe painkiller that can begin to work immediately. Your other possibility would be to call your vet's office and see if your vet is available to talk with after hours. If he/she is, they may agree to meet you at the clinic to dispense something for pain (this may be less expenisve then the emergency clinic).

Absolutely do not use the Children's tylenol, as this medication is not safe for dogs.

I hope that this information is of help to you, and that your dog feels better soon. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Dr. K