Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience as Veterinarian

My dog is drinking A LOT more water than ususal and is urinating

My dog is drinking A LOT more water than ususal and is urinating on the carpet in from of me instead of knocking on the door to go out at usual

How old is your dog?
For how long has this been going on?
Is he showing any other abnormal signs lately, or just the excessive drinking and urinating in the house?

Dr. K
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He will be 13 in May and this has only been going on for about 2 weeks.
How is his appetite?
Has he been losing any weight?
Does he pant alot?
Would you say that he has a "pot-bellied" appearance?
Is he having any problems with the condition of his coat?

Dr. K
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He is eating normal. Yes, he pants a lot. He has also started snoring very loudly. He is overweight, but he is not pot-bellied. He is shedding a lot, but he has always shedded a lot.
Drinking and urinating excessively can be a symptom of a number of different ailments, but the most common are diabetes mellitus, kidney disease, Cushing's disease, Addison's disease and hypercalcemia (usually secondary to cancer). Other, more rare causes, include diabetes insipidus and psychogenic polyuria and polydipisia.

The first step is to take you dog into the veterinarian for a physical examination. Some blood and urine tests should be done to evaluate for kidney disease, diabetes and signs of the other problems. To diagnose Cushing's or Addison's further, more specific, blood tests would need to be done. Cancer is usually diagnosed with abdominal ultrasound and chest X-rays.
If all of these tests yield no findings, then the dog should be evaluated for diabetes insipidus. This is a disease that is caused by a decrease in the synthesis or secretion of ADH (anti-diuretic hormone). This can happen secondary to a brain tumor, or it can be idiopathic (of unknown cause). There is also nephrogenic diabetes insipidus, in which the kidneys do not respond to ADH. The central diabetes insipidus can be tested for with a trial therapy with ADH. This is a treatable disease.
Psychogenic polyuria and polydipsia is exactly what it sounds like-the dog just drinks excessive amounts of water because it likes to, and therefore urinates excessively. This is not really a disease, but just an annoyance to the owner.

It is very important that while you are pursuing an answer to this problem, you do not restrict his water intake at all. Be sure to allow him to drink as much as he wants. With most of these conditions, if he does not have the ability to drink as much as he needs to, he could get very dehydrated and ill quickly.

I hope that this information is of help to you, and I wish you the best of luck with your dog. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Dr. K
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So should I ask for specifc tests? As you know many different tests can increase the bill significantly.
The first tests that should be done are a CBC/Chemistry Panel and a Urinalysis. This is a pretty basic work-up and will tell you right away if he has kidney disease or diabetes. It can also point in the direction of cancer, Addison's disease or Cushing's. To definitely diagnose those...further tests would be needed. But the ones I mentioned above are the tests to do first.

Dr. K

P.S.--Please remember to click on "accept" to show that you were pleased with your service.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you very much.Cool
You are very welcome, and thank you for your "accept". I hope that you find out the answer to your dog's symptoms soon.

Dr. K