Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience as Veterinarian

Could one feel their dogs kidneys if they were enlarged (would

Could one feel their dog's kidneys if they were enlarged (would they protrude at their flanks)?
I'm a human doctor, and know very little veterinary medicine, but have noticed enlarging rounded masses on my dog's hind quarters bilaterally.)
Submitted: 7 years ago via ThePetCenter.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. K replied 7 years ago.

I will tell you right up front that the way this site works, I can chat with you back and forth at no charge, for as long as we both need to feel satisfied that I understand what is going on with your pet.

When I then take this information and go write up an "Answer" you will have to pay a deposit of $9 TO THE SITE (not to me personally) in order to read the answer. The answer is blocked from viewing by the system until you pay a deposit.

Then, if you are satisfied with the answer, you can "accept" it - at which point the website transfers my portion of your deposit, to my account. If you are not satisfied, you can:

1. Ask me for clarification by replying,
2. Reject my answer and ask for another expert to answer it, OR
3. Reject my answer and ask for a refund (which will be provided by the moderators, not by me personally as I do not hold the deposit).

Does that all make sense?

Do you want to proceed? "

Dr. K
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I can get the money back if I don't "like" the answer?
Expert:  Dr. K replied 7 years ago.
You can get your money refunded, if you feel that you were not helped to your satisfaction.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Expert:  Dr. K replied 7 years ago.
Where exactly are you feeling these bilateral enlargements? Are they directly behind her rib cage, or are they further back on her flank just in front of where her hind legs meet her abdomen....or are they even further back and up high on her rump area?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
They're just lateral to her lumbosacral spine I would say. They're just posterior to where her hind legs originate from her flanks. (Does that make sense?)
Expert:  Dr. K replied 7 years ago.
How much does your dog weigh?
Has the vet ever suggested that she is overweight?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
She's definitely overweight (she's 40lbs standing about a foot high and is about 21/2 ft long).
Expert:  Dr. K replied 7 years ago.
What you are feeling, is big fat pads over your dog's hips. This is not her kidneys. Her kidneys are located just caudal to her rib cage (well, the left kidney is there, the right kidney is slightly cranial of this just inside of her rib cage, and would be much harder to feel). So, do not worry about enlarged kidneys on your dog for now.

It sounds like your "husky" dog, just has some fat pads on her rear. In a dog of proper will not find these there. So, it may be time to talk to your vet about establishing a good weight loss plan for your dog.

I hope that this information is of help to you, and I wish you the best of luck with your dog. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Dr. K