Ask Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP Your Own...
Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP
Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP, Small Animal Veterinarian
Experience:  DABVP, Specialist in Canine and Feline Medicine, Veterinarian since 2000
14784321

my dogs testicles seem red and raw I am concerned that there

my dogs testicles seem red and raw> I am concerned that there may be a major problem. This started about 5 days ago
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP replied 8 years ago.
I would recommend taking him into your vet as soon as possible.

A number of dermatologic conditions can affect the testicles, and they are very sensitive. They become quite painful, and dogs often worsen the condition by continuing to lick.

He likely needs an e-collar and medication to address whatever is wrong. Your vet will be able to work with you to come up with a plan to diagnose and treat.

Things that come to mind: topical contact irritation, staph infection, fungal infection, allergic dermatitis.

Best luck! Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Sincerely,
Dr. Devlin
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
could this possible happen because he went into the swimming pool. Could chlorine cause this. My other dog is in and out of the pool all day and does not show these symptoms. Is there any ointment i could use as I am on a limited budget and don't think I can afford vet fees
It's possible, although I would expect to see dermatitis in other places, too.

You can certainly try some things, although if it's fungal/yeast you will have to see your vet. I would recommend purchasing an e-collar to keep him from licking, and using it at least a week. (terrible, i know, but that's probably what's making it so bad)

Use can use a hydrocortisone cream and tripe antibiotic, but only if he won't lick!! It would be toxic if ingested, so you would have to use the e-collar. Keep him out of the pool and only let him on grass for limited time to potty. Wash bedding in hypoallergenic soap, don't use febreeze, etc where he lays.

You can also give him 2 adult benadryl every 8 hours - I'm assuming he's over 50 lbs if he's a golden.

If it doesn't improve in 1-2 days or worsens, please take him right in. He could be licking from pain within the scrotum from an infection or other problem, which absolutely would require a vet visit.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Sincerely,
Dr. Devlin