Dr.Beth, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, University of Minnesota

what would cause a dogs nose to be constantly scabbed over

Customer Question

what would cause a dogs nose to be constantly scabbed over and splitting
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr.Beth replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for the question. The most common reasons for a nose that is constantly scabbing and inflammed is an auto-immune skin disorder. When severe, these conditions will often also affect the skin around the eyes, ears, and or the pads of the paws. But less severe forms will often just affect the nose.

There are a range of auto-immune skin diseases, here are a few:

Discoid Lupus Erythematosus or Systemic Lupus Erythematosus

Pemphigus Foliaceus or Erythematosus: here is a link for more information:

Other possible causes include Nasal pyoderma (bacterial infection of the nasal area) or a fungal or yeast infection. Mites should also be tested for as a precaution.

You will need to take her to the vet for an examination, as these conditions tend to progress and involve more and more tissue.

Your vet will likely want to take a skin biopsy to help come to a diagnosis. Treatment usually includes antibiotics if there is any secondary bacterial infection and steroids to help control the over reaction of the immune system.

Please let me know if I can be of further help.

Dr. Beth

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thanks for the information
Expert:  Dr.Beth replied 7 years ago.
You are welcome.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Dr. Beth

I just want to let you know that the web site you provided had pictures that look similar to Buffy's nose. We see the vet tomorrow and this gives use a good guide line to go by. Thanks very much for your help it was very good information.

Thanks Walt

Expert:  Dr.Beth replied 7 years ago.
You are welcome. My dog actually has the same condition and responds very well to occasional use of oral steroids.