Dr.Fiona
Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years experience as a companion animal veterinarian in British Columbia, California and Ontario
7995545

how do i get a puncture wound from a dog bite to stop bleeding

Customer Question

how do i get a puncture wound from a dog bite to stop bleeding on my dogs face/lip??
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 5 years ago.
Hi thereCustomer

Welcome to Just Answer! I would like to help you and your pit bull mix with this question, but need a bit more information in order to better assist you.

Is the blood dripping or is it spurting rhythmically (as with an artery - blood comes out with every heart beat)?

Where on the lip is it? Here is an image- maybe you could tell me what letters are affected:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/40/Dog_anatomy_head.jpg

Fiona

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
dripping...................just above upper lip................3 quarters way back.....................2 small puncture wound bites
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 5 years ago.
Does the puncture go all the way through the lip?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i do not know but i believe it does
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 5 years ago.
Ah...

Ok, I need just a few minutes to write out a detailed answer. While I do that, take about 3 or 4 small towels, wet them and wring out the water. Put them in the freezer.

I'll be right back!!

Is your dog calm and cooperative? Will he stay still for you?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
he is very good
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 5 years ago.
I figured he would be - such a great breed, so stoic and calm!

Be right back...

Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 5 years ago.
Hi again,

I would like you to apply a cold pack (bag of peas, bag of corn) wrapped in a frozen towel to the wound.

Sit with the dog in front of you, with the non-bitten side facing you. Put your arm around his head and PRESS the ice pack/towel combination against the wound, pushing his head against your body. DO NOT RUB! DO NOT LIFT UP PRESSURE! STAY STILL FOR 10 MINUTES! Set the timer on your microwave (power setting zero) to 10 minutes and then stay put until the timer goes off.

When the timer goes off, gently remove the towel but DO NOT RUB! The skin may have blood dried blood on it, but do not clean it off (you can do that tomorrow when there is a good strong clot).

If there is still oozing, you can press lightly with a paper towel (no rubbing!) and then put corn starch on the punctures, about 1 teaspoon. Just drop it on, and then put a DRY towel around an ice pack and again hold it there for 10 min.

I will stand by to hear how this works!!

If this has been helpful, please click on accept and leave feedback.

If you need more information, just click on reply!

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would strongly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.

Best wishes, Fiona

Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 16 years experience as a companion animal veterinarian in British Columbia, California and Ontario
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you i am sure it will work.........he is better now......i think i will give him some vanilla ice cream even though i know it is not the best for him
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 5 years ago.
You are so welcome!

Good luck!

I would also strongly recommend that you see your vet tomorrow to get some antibiotics for your boy as bite wounds almost always get infected. Starting him on antibiotics within 24h will make this much less likely!

Best wishes,
Fiona
PS you do NOT need to hit accept again even though the system will prompt you to do so!