Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years experience as a companion animal veterinarian in British Columbia, California and Ontario

Are raw vegetables ok to give to a dog Broccoli, Carrots,

Are raw vegetables ok to give to a dog? Broccoli, Carrots,Lettuce?
Hi there,

Welcome to Just Answer! I would like to help you with this question but need a bit more information in order to better assist you.

Does the dog have any medical problems?

What age and breed is the dog?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

He had a Mast Cell tumor removed 2 years ago.

4 Year old Labrador $

Has he ever had any problems with crystals in his urine? Difficulty urinating?

Do you want to make a home made diet for him, or just give him treats/snacks?

I am going off line for about an hour but will be happy to continue this chat when I get back...
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I would like to give him treats and snacks.

I will need just a few minutes to write up a detailed answer of GOOD veggies and BAD ones and will be right back!

Sorry for the delay - I am at home and it is almost 8pm and the kids were melting down! They are off to their bath now, and then to bed so I should have a moment of peace!

I have been working on your answer and will be back soon...
Hi again,

There are a number of foods and products that are safe in humans but NOT safe in dogs and cats.

On the list of common household toxins for dogs are:

- grapes and raisins
- macadamia nuts
- moldy nuts of any sort
- chocolate
- caffeine
- many over the counter medications (ibuprofen and naproxen are very toxic to dogs)
- antifreeze
- corn cobs (these quickly perforate the intestines)
- onions
- bread dough
- tomato VINES and leaves
- cocoa bean mulch for gardens

You can read more here:

Now, in terms of veggies, I would tend to avoid Broccoli. It is probably ok in small amounts to healthy dogs, but I have a hard time recommending it as it can cause a lot of problems in certain animals. Broccoli can cause calcium oxalate crystals to form in the bladder.

Here is a list from the Western Veterinary Conference 2004 by a lecture given by a specialist in this field. Her name isXXXXX DVM, MS, DABVT and she works out of Oklahoma Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory, Oklahoma State University in Stillwater, OK, USA

The following is a list of common toxic vegetables:

Vegetable garden     Toxic effect
beets*                     blood, kidney

broccoli*                 goiter

brussel sprouts*       GI, others

cabbage*               GI, others

corn stalks              Blood

garlic*                   blood

onions*                  blood

pea*                      CNS

potato vines           GI, CNS

rhubarb leaves        kidney

tomato vine             GI

Many of these plants (*) must be ingested in large quantity or lower amounts for a long period of time to cause a problem. The cardiotoxic plants are the most dangerous. Single feedings can cause death.

A greyhound that was house broken began to have episodes of vomiting and diarrhea of unknown cause. One day the owner observed the dog eating green tomatoes and tomato vines. The toxic principle, solanine, is known to be a GI irritant. When the tomato vines were removed, the vomiting and diarrhea symptoms ceased. Corn stalks fed to ruminants such as pigmy goats can potentially have enough nitrate accumulated to kill the goats. Animals that walk through a garden and graze on a variety of plants may have a variety of symptoms.

So... those are the veggies you should AVOID! That said, there are still some vegetables that are safe! Carrots are great, as many dogs enjoy crunching on them. Also, you can give celery and lettuce. It is fine to offer your dogs small pieces of banana or apple, as well as melons (watermelon, honeydew and cantalope). Green beans are also fine!

I hope that this answers your question?

If this has been helpful, please click on accept and leave feedback.

If you need more information, just click on reply!

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would strongly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.

Best wishes, Fiona